ESWET Event “Waste-to-Energy: The Beauty or The Beast?”
On Monday 25 October, we will discuss the links between non-recyclable waste and Waste-to-Energy with supporters and opponents of the technology.
How will European waste management look like in the next thirty years? Can we avoid the generation of non-recyclable waste? Can Waste-to-Energy become carbon neutral thanks to the integration of CCS? These are some of the questions that will be addressed by experts covering the waste management industry as well as the consultancies and the NGOs most active on the topic.
Starting from the EU Green Deal pillars – Circular Economy, Zero Pollution, and Climate Neutrality – the event aims to debate how to improve the sustainability of waste treatment in the EU and discuss the role of Waste-to-Energy.
With speakers from Bellona Europa, CEWEP, Climate Principles, ESWET, the European Environmental Bureau (EEB), FEAD, Fortum Oslo Varme, Zero Waste Europe, and others to be announced.
Co-organised with EURACTIV, with the moderation of Kira Taylor, Energy and Environment journalist at EURACTIV.
Free registration: Media Partnership – Waste-to-Energy: The Beauty or The Beast? (euractiv.com)
The event is part of “The Beauty in the Beast” campaign: a journey through five different stories to reveal the hidden beauties of Waste-to-Energy technologies and their impact on the EU Green Deal.
14:00 – 14:10 Welcoming
- Interview with Patrick Clerens, ESWET Secretary-General.
14:10 – 14:50 “Circular Economy: can we close the loop?”
- Piotr Barczak, Senior Policy Officer for Waste, European Environmental Bureau (EEB)
- Ella Stengler, Managing Director, CEWEP
14:50 – 15:30 “The environmental impacts of non-recyclable waste”
- Janek Vahk, Climate, Energy, and Air Pollution Programme Coordinator, Zero Waste Europe
- Tom Croymans, ESWET CCUS Working Group Chair
15:30 – 16:10 “EU Climate Neutrality: is carbon capture the future of Waste-to-Energy?”
- Jannicke Bjerkas, CCS Director, Fortum Oslo Varme
- Eve Tamme, Founder and Managing Director, Climate Principles
16:10 – 17:00 Panel Discussion – “Is non-recyclable waste represented in the EU Taxonomy?”
- Jonas Helseth, Bellona Europa Industry Director
- Valerie Plainemaison, FEAD Secretary-General.
- Patrick Clerens, ESWET Secretary-General.
- More Speakers TBA